Friday, December 9, 2011

operation force-feed


I have been trying to make Remy take a bottle. he took it when i first got it for him but since then no such luck. for this past week i have implemented a new strategy. operation force feed. this is how it goes: i pump out one ounce of milk. then i try and feed it to Remy. once remy feels the imposter nipple in his mouth he starts screaming. It is seriously like I am torturing him. maybe to him, this is torture, i don't know. it usually takes quite a while to get that ounce accidentally ingested, but he always has accidentally taken it all in. during accidental ingestion he is screaming and coughing and gagging. as soon as he completes his task i give him the real deal and he is happy again. I do not know what to do to make him take a bottle. I seriously feel like i'm going insane because I know I can't go anywhere for more than a few hours. Not that I have anywhere to go, but just knowing I could if I wanted would be very nice. if Anyone had suggestions of an easier way to get him to take a bottle, now would be the time to share. Am I crazy?? maybe, but until then, operation force-feed will prevail!!!

6 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

I don't have any personal experience with this one, but I have heard that some babies will take a bottle if you hold them semi-upright, facing forward (away from you) and walk while you feed them the bottle. I guess it's worth a shot.

Alyssa Harper said...

My baby and my friend's baby did/does that too. For me, I had to get a nipple top with a bigger opening (or faster flow) so she gets more from each suck. Somehow, I guess that made it all worth it. I'd try a couple different bottle types. Finding just the right nipple top does the trick for a lot of babies.

For my friend, her baby absolutely refused to take breast milk from a bottle, but has no problem taking formula from a bottle. It's like the baby considered it a completely different food group. This never worked on my babies. I always had to gradually introduce formula via 4:1, 3:1, 2:1, and 1:1 mixtures of formula:breast milk...but you never know. Every baby is SOOO different. You also might try a little bit of apple juice or water (not a ton, of course, just a little for practice purposes) to see if Remy will take a different flavor as he gets used to a bottle. Bottle feeding is so tough at first. Good luck!

Sun said...

Joey always has to teach our kids to take a bottle. If I try to teach them they are like, "What is this crap?! You're not foolin' anyone, Lady!" So maybe he'll do it for Cade or anyone else that isn't you.Good luck!

brody_joce said...

Finding the right bottle is key. And I have heard that sometimes they won't take it from mom. Next time its time for him to eat you could have a bottle ready then leave and have cade try to feed him...

annie andersen said...

Haha impostor nipple. you crack me up! Love reading your cute posts.

Mel said...

I'm with Alyssa, try lots of different nipple types, assuming you haven't already. All my boys would only take one kind of nipple (for them it was the tan Gerber kind) and refused to drink from another type. Weird. they were also very picky about temperature. Good luck!